Chocolate pecan tart makes the BEST fall dessert! This double chocolate twist on classic pecan pie features a chocolate crust and filling.
- 9 oz (255 g) chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 Tbsp (25 g) sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp (84 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 oz (142 g) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp (6 g) Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2/3 cup (112 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (108 g) pure maple syrup, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs (100 g) at room temperature
- 2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (56 g) pecans, chopped
- pecan halves
- Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (240 g) cold heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp (22 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (4 g) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. For the crust, combine chocolate wafer cookies, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Add butter and pulse until incorporated. Press mixture tightly into bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan. Place tart pan on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake crust for 11 to 12 minutes, until fragrant and almost set. Place baking sheet with tart pan on a wire rack and set aside to cool slightly while making the filling.
- For the filling, combine butter and Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gradually melt the butter and chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from the heat and whisk in cocoa powder, brown sugar, and maple syrup until smooth. Whisk in eggs one at a time, until combined. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Fold in chopped pecans.
- Pour filling into the tart shell. Top with pecan halves and Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, until the tart is set and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the vanilla whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Add powdered sugar and whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Add vanilla and whip the cream on medium-high speed until medium peaks form.
- Serve tart topped with vanilla whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Store leftover tart in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Make Ahead – This chocolate pecan tart can be made 1-2 days in advance. Once the tart is completely cool, loosely over with foil and place in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature or rewarm at 325°F for 15 minutes before serving.
Freeze Tart – Bake the tart as directed and cool completely. Wrap the tart and pan in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. Place in a large freezer bag and freeze up to 2 months. The day before you plan to serve, thaw the tart overnight in the refrigerator (still wrapped to prevent condensation). Bring to room temperature or rewarm at 325°F for 15 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Chocolate, Pecan, Tart, Pie, Thanksgiving Dessert