Whenever I long to be in Italy, I grow nostalgic for chocolate and hazelnut treats. I fell for the rich and nutty combination in my travels and whether it be savoring a few nougatine with my afternoon espresso, or indulging in a cup of gianduja gelato for dessert, I simply can’t get enough of the duo.
With Italy in mind, I dreamed up this chocolate-hazelnut tart. The brown butter-hazelnut crust is crisp and buttery, a perfect counterpoint to the silky chocolate filling.
There’s not a slip of cream in the entire recipe, so you can eat two slices relatively guilt-free, or if you must have your cream, whip it into a topping just before serving.
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
I dusted my tart with unsweetened cocoa powder and added a sprinkle of chopped chocolate-covered hazelnuts; the choice is yours!
This chocolate hazelnut tart features a crisp and buttery crust and silky chocolate Nutella filling. Dust with cocoa powder before serving!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, finely ground
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
- 2 Tbsp chocolate-covered hazelnuts, chopped
- For the crust, preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 14-inch rectangular removable-bottom tart pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, ground hazelnuts, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Add brown butter to flour mixture and stir until incorporated; press mixture in the bottom and up the sides of prepared tart pan.
- Bake tart shell for 24 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place Nutella in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds; set aside to cool slightly. Whisk together cornstarch, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. Once mixture comes to a boil, continue whisking for about 2 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in Nutella and vanilla.
- Pour filling into cooled shell and place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the filling to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Before serving, dust tart with cocoa and top with chopped hazelnuts. Use a sharp knife to cut into wedges.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator loosely covered.
Keywords: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Nutella
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.