Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookies
Chocolate hazelnut linzer cookies are the perfect holiday cookies! Rich and buttery, filled with chocolate hazelnut spread, you’ll love these festive sandwich cookies!
Golden and buttery cookies flavored with brown butter and hazelnuts are the perfect match to the smooth and creamy chocolate hazelnut filling. Dusted with snowy powdered sugar, these chocolate hazelnut linzer cookies are a winter wonderland!
How to Make Nutella Linzer Cookies
Make the dough – This cookie dough is made from brown butter. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan until it turns deep brown and fragrant, then pour into a large mixer bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. While the brown butter cools, combine sugar and hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute, until finely ground. Proceed with the recipe as directed, mixing just until the dough comes together in large pieces.
5 Secrets to Baking Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Roll the dough – Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, roll out the dough between two pieces of lightly floured parchment paper to 1/4-inch thick.
Cut out shapes – Use a 2-inch round fluted cutter (or any shape 2-inch round cutter) to cut out the cookies. Use a 1-inch round or snowflake cutter to remove the centers from half of the cookies. Transfer the cut-outs to baking sheets and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Bake – Bake the rounds for 11 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Assemble – To assemble the sandwich cookies, pipe chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella!) into the center of the rounds for effortless cookie assembly. Store the cookies in a single layer to prevent the powdered sugar from smudging.
Make ahead – Freeze the cut-outs until you’re ready to bake, then bake straight from the freezer, adding 1 to 2 minutes to baking time.Print
Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookies
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 minutes (includes chilling)
- Yield: 20 sandwich cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Chocolate hazelnut linzer cookies are the perfect holiday cookies! Rich and buttery, you’ll love these sandwich cookies filled with chocolate hazelnut spread.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a large mixer bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Combine sugar and hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse together until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Add hazelnut-sugar and vanilla to mixer bowl with brown butter. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute, until well combined. Beat in egg yolks. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture just until incorporated. Add milk and mix on low speed until dough comes together in large pieces.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and divide dough in half. Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll the dough out between 2 pieces of lightly floured parchment paper to just shy of 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a floured 2-inch round fluted cookie cutter to cut out rounds. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have 20 rounds. Repeat with remaining disk of dough and use a floured 1-inch round cutter (or snowflake cutter) to remove centers from 20 rounds.
- Use a metal spatula to place rounds on baking sheets and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool cookies for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate hazelnut spread in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Turn over whole cookies and pipe about 2 teaspoons spread in the center of each cookie (or use an offset spatula). Dust cutout cookies with powdered sugar and sandwich cookies together.
- Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Make Ahead: Freeze the cut-outs until you’re ready to bake, then bake straight from the freezer, adding 1 to 2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Nutella, Linzer Cookies, Holiday Cookies
Craving more holiday cookies?
Chocolate Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
Raspberry Pecan Linzer Cookies
Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Peppermint White Chocolate Snowball Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
I LOVE your sandwich cookies with the cut out feature! So beautiful….now I must make sure to set aside enough time to make these NEXT year! xo
Thank you so much, Liz! 🙂