Chocolate ganache loaf cake is the BEST cake for chocolate lovers! Rich and fudgy, you’ll love this easy loaf cake topped with glossy chocolate ganache!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add buttermilk, then finish with remaining flour mixture. Dissolve espresso powder in boiling water and slowly mix in. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Carefully lift cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the ganache, place chopped chocolate and salt in a medium heat-proof bowl. Bring heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, heating until bubbles form at the edge of the pan. Pour warm heavy cream over chocolate. Cover the bowl and let stand for 1 minute, then stir with a spatula until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Spoon warm ganache over cake and let set before serving. Store leftover cake at room temperature.
Cocoa Powder – Dutch process cocoa has a more intense chocolate flavor and results in a darker, fudgier loaf cake than natural unsweetened cocoa powder
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Chocolate, Loaf Cake, Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Ganache