Golden and buttery chocolate chip crumb muffins make the BEST breakfast! Simple and delicious, you’ll love these easy chocolate chip muffins!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray. For the crumb topping, combine sugars, flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and vanilla, and toss mixture with a fork until completely incorporated and crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, yogurt, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until almost incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill each baking cup 3/4 full of batter and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping.
- Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking 10 to 12 minutes (for a total baking time of 15 to 17 minutes), until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
Optional Cinnamon Swirl – These muffins are also delicious with a cinnamon swirl. To make the swirl, combine 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons white sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add a scoop of batter to each muffin cup and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top with batter, sprinkle with crumb topping, and bake as directed.
Keywords: Muffins, Crumb Muffins, Chocolate, Chocolate Chips