chocolate cherry ice cream pie
Let’s welcome summer with a chocolate cherry ice cream pie! This may just be the ultimate ice cream pie for summer, with four layers of deliciousness.
We start with a rich chocolate wafer crust, layered with creamy chocolate chip ice cream. Once the pie is frozen and set, we add a layer of Amaretto cherry sauce and billows of almond whipped cream.
Topped with chocolate shavings and fresh cherries, this ice cream pie is utter bliss (and if you’re planning ahead, simply perfect for your 4th of July celebration!).
Ice Cream Pie
- 9 oz chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4–5 cups chocolate chip ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 pound fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Almond Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- chocolate shavings
- fresh Bing cherries
- Combine chocolate wafer cookies and sugar in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Add butter, and pulse until incorporated. Press crust into a 9-inch pie pan coated with nonstick spray, and let freeze for 1 hour. When crust is frozen, add ice cream and smooth with an offset spatula. Let freeze until solid, about 4-6 hours.
- For the cherry topping, combine cherries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, Amaretto, and extracts in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until cherries begin to soften. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened. Pour into a glass bowl and let cool to room temperature before covering and chilling in the refrigerator.
- For the almond whipped cream, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and almond extract in a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Whip on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. To serve, spoon chilled cherry topping over pie and top with almond whipped cream. Add chocolate shavings and fresh cherries, and use a sharp knife to cut pie into wedges.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cherry, Ice Cream, Ice Cream Pie, Whipped Cream