Rich and decadent chocolate caramel thumbprint cookies drizzled with dark chocolate and filled with homemade salted caramel sauce!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup pecans, pulsed until coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- flaky salt
- Beat butter, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Beat until combined. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture just until incorporated and dough comes together in large pieces (scrape down bowl as needed).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine pecans and sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in pecan-sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets and make an indentation in the center of each one with the back of a 1/2 teaspoon. Chill thumbprints for 45 minutes. While dough chills, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and return to the oven, baking another 4 to 5 minutes, or set. While cookies are cooling on baking sheets, gently press the centers again to make an indentation. Let cookies cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl and microwave in 10-second bursts, stirring until melted and smooth. Drizzle chocolate over cookies, then chill for 10 minutes to set.
- Spoon or pipe 1 teaspoon salted caramel sauce in the center of each cookie. Top with another drizzle of chocolate and flaky salt.
- Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Roll dough into 1-inch balls, roll in pecan-sugar, and place on baking sheets. Make an indentation in the center of each one with the back of a 1/2 teaspoon. Freeze flat for 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container in the freeze for up to 2 months. Bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Chocolate, Caramel, Thumbprint Cookies, Holiday Cookies