Chocolate Caramel Hi-Hat Cupcakes
Homemade chocolate caramel hi-hat cupcakes are rich and indulgent! You’ll love these dark chocolate cupcakes topped with salted caramel frosting and dipped in a chocolate shell coating.
The dark chocolate cupcakes are soft and fluffy, and the salted caramel frosting incorporates my favorite homemade salted caramel sauce. Dipped in a rich chocolate coating, these incredibly decadent cupcakes are a must bake.
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Hi-Hat Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes – The one-bowl chocolate cupcakes come together quickly, no mixer required! Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Add granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and wet ingredients, whisking until incorporated. Whisk in boiling water just until smooth (this helps bloom and dissolve the cocoa), and fold in finely chopped semisweet chocolate.
5 Secrets to Baking Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Divide Batter – Use a medium cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to fill each baking cup with batter – fill liners only 2/3 full to avoid batter spilling over the sides.
Bake Cupcakes – Bake cupcakes for 17 to 18 minutes, until tops spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks for 2 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
Salted Caramel Frosting – To make the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually mix in powdered sugar on low speed, alternating with salted caramel sauce. Increase speed to medium-high and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
Frost Cupcakes – Transfer salted caramel frosting to a large piping bag fitted with an open star tip and pipe a spiral onto each cupcake. Chill frosted cupcakes for 20 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator, until frosting is firm.
Chocolate Shell – Dip the chilled cupcakes in chocolate shell to coat the caramel frosting. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate cupcakes for 20 to 30 minutes to set chocolate before serving.Print
Chocolate Caramel Hi-Hat Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 38 minutes
- Yield: 20 cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Homemade chocolate caramel hi-hat cupcakes are rich and indulgent! You’ll love these dark chocolate cupcakes topped with salted caramel frosting and dipped in chocolate shell.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant espresso
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Salted Caramel Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 5 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 16 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup standard muffin pans with baking cups.
- For the cupcakes, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Add sugars, eggs, egg yolk, milk, yogurt, oil, and vanilla to flour mixture; whisk in just until incorporated. Dissolve instant espresso in boiling water; add to batter and whisk in just until smooth. Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Use a medium cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake for 17 to 18 minutes, until cupcakes spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks for 2 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated. Mix in salted caramel sauce until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, add remaining 2 cups powdered sugar. Increase speed to medium and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with an open star tip (Wilton 8B) and frost cupcakes. Chill frosted cupcakes for 20 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator, until frosting is firm.
- For the chocolate shell, combine chopped chocolate and oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20 second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth. Let the chocolate shell cool for 15 minutes before dipping.
- Dip the cupcakes in chocolate shell to coat the frosting. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes to set chocolate before serving.
- Store leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Chocolate, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Cupcakes
More chocolate desserts to try:
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cups
Chocolate Ganache Loaf Cake
Double Chocolate Bundt Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
I have missed your posts so much lately. I was hoping you were okay. This looks beautiful and so indulgent. I will have to try this 🙂