Beautifully golden with a sweet cherry swirl, a simple vanilla glaze turns this cherry swirl bundt cake into a showstopper for any summer occasion.
- 2 cups fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder*
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- For the cherry sauce, combine cherries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, almond extract, and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until cherries begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes Pour into a glass bowl and let cool to room temperature. Chill until ready to use.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs and egg yolk one at a time. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Top batter with 1/2 cup cherry sauce, dropping by spoonfuls over the batter. Use a toothpick to very gently swirl the sauce into the batter. Spoon remaining batter evenly over the sauce, and carefully smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply again to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 46 to 50 minutes, until cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to keep your cake from turning blue.
Cherry sauce: 1/2 cherry preserves may also be substituted for the cherry sauce.
Keywords: Cherry, Vanilla, Bundt Cake, Glaze