cherry crumb cake
The best kind of cherry crumb cake is a plush buttermilk cake, scented with almond and vanilla, and topped with a scattering of sweet dark cherries. Piled high with buttery crumbs and baked until beautifully golden, this is the cherry cake your summer needs.
Cut into the cake, and you’ll find each wedge bursting with juicy cherries. Whether you enjoy this cake for dessert or weekend brunch, there’s no better way to celebrate cherry season.
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan. For the crumb topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and almond extract, and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time. Combine buttermilk and extracts in a small bowl. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles, and top with an even layer of cherries, pressing slightly into batter. Sprinkle with crumb topping and bake for 75 to 78 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides from pan; let cool completely.
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrates: 55
Keywords: Cherry, Crumb Cake