cherry blueberry cream scones
Cherry blueberry cream scones make a delicious summer breakfast!
Local cherries arrived at the farmer’s market last week, and I’ve been in a state of bliss ever since. Cherry scones immediately came to mind, and these do not disappoint. With the long weekend and unofficial start to summer before us, a warm and flaky cream scone dotted with cherries, blueberries, and white chocolate is the way to do breakfast.
Brushed with cream and finished with sparkling turbinado sugar, the golden exteriors give way to soft centers. Serve these scones up with plenty of coffee and a side of wild blueberry or cherry preserves for a lovely start to the day.
Cherry blueberry cream scones with white chocolate make a delicious summer breakfast! Enjoy these cream scones with plenty of coffee and a jam!
- 1 cup Bing cherries, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange cherry slices and blueberries in a single layer; freeze for 1 hour. For the scones, line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl; set aside 1 tablespoon mixture to toss with cherries and blueberries. Fold in white chocolate chips.
- Combine vanilla bean paste with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream; drizzle cream over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated. Toss frozen cherries and blueberries with reserved flour mixture; add to bowl and fold in just until a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Divide dough in half and turn out on a lightly floured board. Use lightly floured hands to pat each half into a 6-inch circle. Place the two circles of dough on prepared baking sheets and cut each circle into 7 wedges; pull the wedges slightly apart, leaving an inch between them. Chill baking sheets in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Brush scones with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 24 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Make ahead: Cut each circle of dough into wedges on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with cream, sprinkle with turbinado sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrates: 38
Keywords: Cherry, Blueberry, White Chocolate, Cream Scones, Scones, Breakfast