cherry almond skillet crisp
If there’s a more lovely pairing than cherries with almond, I certainly can’t think of one. The two are a perfect match, made only more scrumptious when topped with a buttery lid of oatmeal and brown sugar crumble in this skillet crisp.
Baked up in a Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet, this crisp is large enough to serve a crowd and easily goes from the oven (or grill!) to table, making it an effortless summer dessert. All that’s left is to top the still warm crisp with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream… heaven!
P.S. Today I’ve partnered with Lodge to gift one of you with your very own skillet! Check out the giveaway details below the recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp Amaretto
- 10 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 oz almond paste, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 cups fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto
- Preheat oven to 375°F place a baking sheet in the center of the oven. Grease a seasoned 12-inch cast iron skillet (or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish). For the crumble topping, whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl; mix in Amaretto. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until large crumbs form. Keep chilled while preparing filling.
- For the filling, combine almond paste and sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute to combine. Whisk together almond paste-sugar mixture, arrowroot starch, and salt in a large bowl. Add cherries and Amaretto and toss to combine. Spoon filling into skillet and top with chilled crumble. Place skillet on preheated baking sheet and bake for 55 minutes, until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrates: 50
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway ends on Saturday, June 18, 2016. Open to continental US Residents.
Disclosure: Lodge generously provided product for the giveaway. I received no compensation and all opinions expressed in this post are my own.