Cherry almond galette is summer bliss! This easy galette recipe features sweet cherries atop a layer of almond paste and flaky all-butter pastry.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 7 oz almond paste, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or 1 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 3 cups fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and top with almond paste; chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together sugar, arrowroot starch, and salt in a medium bowl. Add cherries and Amaretto; toss together just until combined. Spoon filling over chilled crust, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Fold up the pastry border, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Bake galette for 25 minutes, then tent with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes (for a total baking time of 35 to 40 minutes), until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Let cool for 1 hour on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
Keywords: Cherry, Almond, Almond Paste, Galette, Pastry