Cherry Almond Galette
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
The galette is one of the finest desserts of summer, and this cherry almond galette is no exception. Featuring sweet Bing cherries atop a layer of fragrant almond paste and flaky all-butter pastry, this free-form tart is summer bliss.
Sprinkled with sliced almonds and sugar and baked until golden, there’s nothing more satisfying than a wedge of galette topped with vanilla bean ice cream (and leftovers make a fine breakfast). Here’s to an effortless dessert that is everything lovely about the season!Print
Cherry Almond Galette
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 galette, 8 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Cherry almond galette is summer bliss! This easy galette recipe features sweet cherries atop a layer of almond paste and flaky all-butter pastry.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 7 oz almond paste, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or 1 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 3 cups fresh Bing cherries, pitted
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and top with almond paste; chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together sugar, arrowroot starch, and salt in a medium bowl. Add cherries and Amaretto; toss together just until combined. Spoon filling over chilled crust, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Fold up the pastry border, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Bake galette for 25 minutes, then tent with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes (for a total baking time of 35 to 40 minutes), until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Let cool for 1 hour on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
Keywords: Cherry, Almond, Almond Paste, Galette, Pastry
More cherry desserts you’ll love:
Cherry Swirl Bundt Cake
Brown Butter Cherry Coffee Cake
Baked Cherry Doughnuts
I have made this twice in the past month and both times it came out perfect!! The first time was for a friend who had had surgery (dessert) and the second time, last weekend for us and some friends. What a great treat….served it with vanilla ice cream. The only thing I did different was that at the end I didn’t bake it as long; I guess my oven bakes a little hot so the first time it was a bit crisper than I wanted. Second time it was perfect and we loved it!! Thanks Laura!!
Thanks so much, Sandy! It’s the absolute best with vanilla ice cream. 🙂
I want to jump into the screen and take a slice off this beauty!!! I mean it! 🙂
Any reason why I couldn’t swap in sour cherries and just up the sugar ratio? Our tree is about to go off. Thanks!
I’ve never baked with sour cherries so I can’t say for sure, but I imagine it would work well if you just adjust the sugar – let us know if you give it a try!
Cherries are summer bliss as well as any free-form fruit tart in galette form! Absolutely beautiful cherry galette, Laura. We’re going cherry picking this weekend and I will be up to my elbows in bright red orbs only available for picking for a few days! So fleeting. Thanks for sharing, Laura!
Sweet cherries, Amaretto and almonds…what a delicious summer dessert.
So cherryful ! Inviting as usual ! Thank you !
Love this flavor combination, Laura! I’m holding out for farmer’s market cherries and I cannot wait to whip up a cherry almond galette too! Gorgeous work!
This sounds amazing. The addition of the almond paste turned my head for sure. Lovely recipe x
I haven’t made a galette in ages. This lush cherry beauty has me daydreaming about all the summer fruit that makes for such inspired baking.
I wish Bill would eat cherries. Cherry Kool Aid is OK, but not the real deal! But I have friends who would happily indulge in this gorgeous galette with me!
I wish he’d eat cherries too! I feel like this galette might convince him. 😉
Can you substitute almond extract for the Amaretto?
Hi Lisa, yes you can – try it with 1 teaspoon pure almond extract. Hope that helps! 🙂