chai spice chocolate chunk cookies
The warming, spicy flavors of chai and the richness of chocolate are a perfect match in these chai spice chocolate chunk cookies. Studded with plenty of chocolate and infused with cozy spice, these soft and chewy cookies are the fall version of the classic chocolate chip.
Sprinkled with flaky salt and devoured still warm (with a steaming mug of chai tea!), these cookies are ready for crisp evenings by the fire.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- Semisweet chocolate chunks
- Flaky salt
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugars, and spices in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chunks. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (if cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; press mounds to flatten slightly. Top cookies with chocolate chunks, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10-11 minutes, until tops and edges are set. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack. Sprinkle cookies with flaky sea salt and let cool completely.
Chocolate tip: If you can’t find chocolate chunks at your grocery store, use a 4-ounce semisweet chocolate bar chopped into chunks.
Keywords: Chai, Chai Spice, Chocolate Chunk, Cookies