Spiced carrot cake topped with white chocolate cream cheese frosting makes the best dessert for Easter and spring! Recipe makes one 8-inch layer cake.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (or pecans)
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 16 oz full fat cream cheese, cool room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in a medium bowl; make a well in the center. Combine vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, egg yolk, buttermilk, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth, then add to flour mixture and fold in until almost incorporated. Fold in grated carrots and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cakes for 26 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are pulling slightly away from the pan. Cool cakes completely in pans on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate: Place chopped white chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gradually melt the white chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Make frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until creamy, scraping down bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla, lemon juice, and salt. Scrape down bowl and add cooled white chocolate, mixing in on low speed until incorporated. Gradually add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until combined, scraping down bowl as needed (frosting should be spreadable, but not runny). If frosting is too soft to use immediately, chill for 30 to 40 minutes before assembling the cake.
- Assemble and crumb coat cake: Place one cake layer on a rotating cake stand and use an offset spatula to swirl frosting over the cake. Add the second cake layer and chill the stacked cake for 20 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese frosting on top and around the sides of the cake to create a crumb coat (add a toothpick to the center to support cake layers if desired). Chill for 1 hour, uncovered (keep extra frosting chilled).
- Use offset spatula to apply remaining frosting to the top and sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand, then use a bench scraper to gently smooth the edges of the cake and remove any excess frosting. If desired, pipe remaining frosting decoratively on the top cake layer and decorate with sprinkles.
- Chill the frosted cake for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Store leftover cake covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before serving.
Cake pans: This recipe uses two 8-inch cake pans. You can also divide the batter evenly between two 9-inch cake pans and bake layers for 22 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are pulling away from the pan.
Cake layers: For perfectly even cake layers, place your cake pans on a kitchen scale and weigh each pan as you add the batter.
Make Ahead: The cake can be made and assembled a day ahead and refrigerated overnight. Before serving, let the cake stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Keywords: Carrot Cake, White Chocolate, Cream Cheese Frosting