Caramelized pear scones make the perfect fall breakfast or afternoon treat! Soft and pillowy with nicely golden edges, each bite is filled with fall flavor. Recipe makes 12 scones.
Drizzled with brown butter and cinnamon glaze, you’ll push these scones right to the top of your must-bake list!
To make the scones, sauté pears in butter and brown sugar until lightly caramelized. Gently fold the pears into the scone dough, which is nicely spiced with cinnamon and cardamom.
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
Bake scones until golden, then let cool before scoring into wedges and drizzling with cinnamon glaze.Print
Caramelized pear scones make the perfect fall breakfast! Soft and pillowy with nicely golden edges, each bite is filled with fall flavor. Recipe makes 12 scones.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced pears
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cardamom
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Heat butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat; add pears and sauté until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and sauté until melted. Remove pears from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal; chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated. Fold in caramelized pears. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; lightly dust dough with flour, flour hands, and pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Score into 12 wedges with floured bench scraper.
- Bake 17 to 18 minutes, until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges.
- For the glaze, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Whisk together brown butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl until smooth.
- Set rack with scones over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; let set before serving. Scones are best fresh – if not serving immediately, store unglazed in an airtight container and glaze just before serving.
- Calories: 200
Keywords: Pear Scones, Cinnamon, Brown Butter
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.