caramel apple pecan cheesecake
This decadent caramel apple pecan cheesecake is perfect for fall!
As Thanksgiving draws near, many of us will gather around the table with family or friends to share a meal and celebrate our blessings. This is the year to mix things up and add a caramel apple pecan cheesecake to your dessert table, a most welcome addition to the classic fall pies and tarts.
Rich and creamy cheesecake is paired with a press-in cookie crust, warm caramelized-apple topping, caramel drizzle, and a sprinkle of pecans for one sensational Thanksgiving dessert. Perfect for sharing with a crowd and absolute bliss for cheesecake lovers!
Tips for the best cheesecake
Homemade cheesecake is easy to make from scratch. You’ll need a 10-inch springform pan for this recipe, and I highly recommend reading through the recipe completely before beginning.
First make the cookie crust, and bake at 350°F for about 18 minutes or until golden and set. Allow the crust to cool completely and reduce the oven temperature to 325°F while preparing the filling.
For the filling, use room temperature cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and eggs for a smooth and uniform cheesecake batter. Pour the batter over the cooled crust and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake at 325°F for 55 minutes, until the edges are slightly puffed and the center wobbles ever so slightly when you bump the pan.
Once the cheesecake is done baking, turn off the oven, prop oven the door, and let the cheesecake cool for an hour – this gradual cooling helps prevent cracks. From there, let the cheesecake cool for 2 hours on a wire rack. When the cheesecake reaches room temperature, cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
This cheesecake (without topping) can also be made in advance, wrapped tightly, and frozen for up to a month. Thaw the cheesecake overnight in the refrigerator.
On the day you plan to serve the cheesecake, make the salted caramel sauce and apple topping. When you’re ready to serve, simply remove the sides of the springform pan and transfer the cheesecake to a plate. Top with warm apple topping, drizzle with caramel sauce, and sprinkle with pecans.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp graham flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 24 oz full fat cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 6 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 Honeycrisp apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 10-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. For the crust, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Combine melted butter and sugars in a medium bowl. Add flour mixture and fold in until incorporated. Use a piece of parchment paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 18 minutes, until golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. For the filling, beat cream cheese and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down bowl with a spatula as needed. Add yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt, and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low, add the eggs one at a time, and mix until just incorporated. Pour filling over cooled crust; smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake at 325°F for 55 minutes, until the sides of the cheesecake are slightly puffed. Turn oven off, prop open oven door with a wooden spoon, and let cheesecake sit in the oven for 1 hour. Remove cheesecake from oven and cool to room temperature on a wire rack for 2 hours. Run a knife around the top edge of the cheesecake to loosen it from pan; cover and chill overnight.
- For the salted caramel sauce, combine brown sugar, butter, and heavy cream in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter has melted completely. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt until smooth. Pour sauce into a glass bowl to cool to room temperature.
- For the apple topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a large skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Add apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and cook until lightly caramelized and soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer apples to a bowl and cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, remove side of pan and transfer cheesecake to a plate. Top cheesecake with warm apple topping, drizzle with caramel sauce, and sprinkle with pecans.
Make ahead: Cheesecake (without topping) can be made ahead, wrapped tightly, and frozen for up to a month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving with topping.
- Calories: 450
- Carbohydrates: 46
Keywords: Caramel, Apple, Pecan, Cheesecake