This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
A scoop of ice cream alone isn’t enough for me; I always want my ice cream with a side of cookie(s) or a bite of chocolate. Enter the ice cream sandwich, the answer to my first-world dessert problem. Up until this weekend, I had never considered the brownie as the canvas for my ice cream sandwich but oh, is it ever!
Rich and fudgy brownie batter is divided between two pans for quick baking and easy stacking. Filled with a layer of dairy-free, fresh mint-infused ice cream, you’ll be very glad these chocolate-drizzled squares are stashed away in the freezer. Easy to make (and even easier to eat), I see no reason not to have these sandwiches on repeat all summer long.
- 1 2/3 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Combine coconut milk and fresh mint leaves in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat for 5 minutes, until bubbles appear around the edge of the pan. Remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes. Strain infused coconut milk through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing on the mint with the back of a spoon. Whisk in sugar and salt until smooth. Let mixture cool to room temperature, then cover and chill for 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Pour chilled ice cream mixture into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add chopped chocolate in the final minute of freezing. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight until firm.
- For the brownies, preheat oven to 350°F and line two 8-inch square baking pans with parchment paper. Combine bittersweet chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove pan from heat and whisk in sugar; whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Fold in flour just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans (1 cup batter per pan) and smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove pans from oven and transfer directly to the freezer (line shelf with a kitchen towel) to chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove one pan from the freezer and spread mint ice cream over chilled brownie with an offset spatula. Remove second pan from the freezer and lift the chilled brownie out of the pan. Remove parchment and place brownie on top of the ice cream layer. Weigh down the stack with the empty pan, and return to the freezer until fully firm, at least 2 hours.
- For the chocolate drizzle, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle chocolate shell over brownies. Return to the freezer for 2 more hours. Lift parchment to remove stack from pan and place on a cutting board; trim edges and cut into squares with a sharp knife. Wrap sandwiches individually in wax paper and store in the freezer up to two weeks.
In lieu of making your own ice cream, substitute 2 cups store-bought ice cream. Feeding a crowd? Double the recipe, and use two 13 x 9-inch pans. Inspired by Smitten Kitchen.
- Calories: 265
- Carbohydrates: 33