If you love chocolate and toffee together as much as I do, you will love these brown butter toffee chocolate cookies! I like to think of these cookies as the ultimate chocolate chunk cookie.
Incredibly chewy, these cookies are the answer to all of your cookie cravings. Flavored with brown butter, rich chocolate, toffee bits, and brown sugar, what’s not to love about the perfect salty-sweet cookie?
The Best Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Cookies
Brown Butter – Brown butter adds rich caramel flavor to these cookies! To brown butter, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour brown butter into a shallow glass bowl or glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 to 60 minutes. Once the brown butter is solid, transfer to your mixer and beat with the sugars until creamy.
Brown butter can be made ahead: once solidified, cover the bowl or measuring cup tightly with plastic and store overnight in the refrigerator. On baking day, bring brown butter to room temperature before using.
Chocolate – Semisweet chocolate baking bars are ideal in this recipe. Use a serrated knife to chop the chocolate into chunks. I like smaller, more uniform chocolate chunks for the dough, and larger chunks for the tops of the cookies that form melty chocolate pools while baking.
Chill – Chill this cookie dough in an airtight container for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before baking. The chill time intensifies the flavor and ensures that the cookies don’t overspread in the oven.
Bake – Bake the cookies for 11 to 13 minutes, rotating baking pans halfway through, until the edges and tops are golden and just set. Remove pans from the oven and let the cookies cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Make Ahead – These cookies can be prepped ahead. Simply scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.Print
Brown butter toffee chocolate cookies are the BEST cookies! Flavored with brown butter, rich chocolate, and toffee bits, you’ll love these cookies!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a shallow glass bowl or glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified and the texture of room temperature butter, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold toffee bits and chopped chocolate. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Top cookies with chopped chocolate, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 13 minutes, until edges are golden and set. Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and let cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with chocolate chips. Freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Chocolate, Toffee, Cookies