brown butter strawberry crumb bars
Spring strawberries are even more delicious in brown butter strawberry crumb bars! These simple crumb bars bake up buttery and golden with a sweet strawberry center. Flavored with rich brown butter and drizzled with vanilla butter glaze, you’ll love this easy crumb bar recipe.
How to make brown butter:
Brown butter adds the most amazing flavor to these strawberry crumb bars! To brown butter, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes.
How to make strawberry crumb bars:
- The crust and crumbs are one simple dough that comes together in under 10 minutes.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of the dough for the crumb topping (keep chilled), and press the remaining dough evenly and firmly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the crust until golden, then let cool for 15 minutes before adding the strawberry filling and reserved crumb topping.
- Continue baking until the topping is golden and the berry filling is slightly bubbly, another 45 to 50 minutes. Let bars cool completely.
- Once the bars are completely cool, chill them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- Whisk up the quick vanilla butter glaze until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the bars and enjoy! These bars are also delicious dusted with powdered sugar or topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
The BEST brown butter strawberry crumb bars! Flavored with brown butter and drizzled with vanilla butter glaze, you’ll love this easy crumb bar recipe.
Crust & Crumbs
- 14 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Add brown butter to a large bowl and whisk in sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve 3/4 cup of dough for topping (keep chilled); press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, combine sugar, salt, and arrowroot starch in a medium bowl. Add strawberries and lemon juice, tossing gently to combine. Spoon mixture over cooled crust and crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake for another 45 to 50 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling slightly bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over bars and let set before serving. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Strawberry, Crumb Bars, Bars