- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet (or cake pan). Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour into a small bowl to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, eggs, brown sugar, and maple syrup in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in cooled brown butter just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 18 to 19 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack for 10 minutes; use a thin spatula to loosen cornbread from skillet before serving.
- Calories: 225