This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
In a word, these brown butter maple blondies are incredible. Simultaneously soft and chewy, nutty and rich, there’s nothing not to love here. Brown butter is the perfect counterpoint to pure maple syrup; best of all, there’s no cloying sweetness to these bars.
Drizzled with maple butter glaze (which makes me wish all blondies came with a glaze), I have a feeling I’ll be making these weekly. Follow my lead and top each blondie with flaky salt to cure the end of summer blues.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 Tbsp whiskey (or substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
Maple Butter Glaze
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour butter into a medium mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature; whisk in brown sugar and maple syrup. Add egg, whiskey, and salt, whisking to combine. Fold in flour just until incorporated.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 22 to 23 minutes, until set in the middle. Cool completely in baking dish on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in maple syrup, brown sugar, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; let boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let glaze cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife. Drizzle with glaze and top with flaky salt. Store extra glaze in the refrigerator up to a week; warm briefly before serving.
Maple Butter Glaze adapted from The Kitchn
- Calories: 220
Keywords: Blondies, Brown Butter, Maple Syrup