Brown Butter Graham Snickerdoodles
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Brown butter graham snickerdoodles flavored with brown butter and graham flour!
Snickerdoodles are like a worn-in book with pages rumpled from use and the occasional coffee stain from a careless jostle: comforting and enveloping. With the familiar cracked tops and dusting of cinnamon sugar, these pillowy cookies are unmistakably snickerdoodles, yet I like to think of them as snickerdoodles, reimagined.
Brown butter plus a scoop of graham flour add layers of flavor; swapping half the white sugar for brown sugar is the secret to incredibly soft and chewy cookies. If you love snickerdoodles, these belong in your cookie jar.
Brown Butter Graham Snickerdoodles
- Yield: 30 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup graham flour*
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, graham flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (if cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk together sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop 1 1/2″ balls of dough and dredge in cinnamon-sugar; place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 to 12 minutes, until edges and tops are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Graham Flour: I used Bob’s Red Mill.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Graham Flour, Snickerdoodles, Cookies
More snickerdoodle cookies you’ll love:
Cranberry Orange Snickerdoodles
Brown Butter Chai Snickerdoodles
I have never tried these cookies. They look like a great bite with a cup of tea.
These literally look like little pillows of heaven Laura!
Now that Fall is almost here, I’m definitely in cookie mode! These look so fabulous, lady!
My dauhter loves snickerdoodles! Brown butter and graham flour. You know how to lure us with these delicious cookies. 😉
Snickerdoodles are my FAVORITE kind of cookies, and with the brown butter?! Oh man oh man. I’m completely sold on this!
Oh how I love when you make your sweet treats with brown butter! I bet this just added that extra POW to the traditional snickerdoodle! Nicely done.
I love Snickerdoodles, and I love brown butter. It always adds such dimension, such depth of flavor. What a terrific idea to use it here!
Ooh we love snickerdoodles here! I was even served ones at a local neighbourhood meeting that looked just like these! 😀
Divine! Those snickerdoodles must be packed with wonderful flavors.
I love pillowy cookies! I can imagine how the browned butter made these taste extra special!