brown butter chai spice oatmeal cookies
Oatmeal cookies are a fine way to ease into fall, especially when filled with the warming flavors of chai spice and rich brown butter. After a nice rest in the refrigerator, the dough bakes up into ultra-chewy, pillowy brown butter chai spice oatmeal cookies.
Dressed up with a sweet vanilla drizzle and a shower of sparkling sugar, these cookies are a delicious way to usher in autumn.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, oats, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 4 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, salt, cinnamon, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Transfer to a small piping bag and drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, and let glaze set before serving.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Chai Spice, Oatmeal Cookie