blueberry skillet crumbles
Mini blueberry skillet crumbles baked in cast iron skillets!
There’s nothing quite so fine as a bubbling berry crumble, especially when baked in mini cast iron skillets with plenty of golden crumb topping (my motto: you can never have too much crumble).
The filling is jammy, blueberry bliss with a sprinkle of lemon thyme – I absolutely adore pairing herbs with berries for an easy way to elevate summery fruit desserts. A touch of lavender would work beautifully, or go classic with plenty of fresh lemon zest.
Crumbles are the ideal make-ahead dessert too – these can be assembled in the morning and chilled up to one day, baked whenever a craving strikes. Whatever you do, don’t forget to serve up the crumbles still warm, topped with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon thyme, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Grease six 3 1/2-inch cast iron skillets and place on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. For the crumble topping, whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until large crumbs form. Keep chilled while preparing filling.
- For the filling, whisk together sugar, arrowroot starch, and salt in a medium bowl. Add blueberries, lemon thyme, and lemon juice; toss to combine. Divide filling evenly among skillets (about 1/2 cup per skillet) and sprinkle with chilled topping, pressing gently to adhere. Chill assembled crumbles for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator, or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake crumbles for 35 minutes, until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving with ice cream.
Mini cast iron skillets available here or on eBay. You can also double the recipe and use an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrates: 40
Keywords: Blueberry, Blueberry Crumble, Skillet Crumble, Mini Crumbles