- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, for the pan
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- For the blueberry syrup, combine blueberries, maple syrup, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once mixture boils, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, until reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside while making pancakes.
- For the pancakes, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, lemon zest, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture. Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and gently whisk just until combined (batter should have lumps).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush with melted butter, carefully wiping out any excess with a paper towel. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to pour the batter into pan and sprinkle 1 tablespoon blueberries over each pancake. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, until large bubbles appear on the tops and edges are set. Use a thin, wide spatula to flip pancakes and cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing pan with more butter as needed. Place cooked pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 175°F oven up to 30 minutes. Serve warm with blueberry syrup.
Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to keep your pancakes from turning blue.
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrates: 23
Keywords: Blueberry, Buttermilk, Pancakes