blood orange & almond scones
These scones are everything a good scone should be; the golden exterior with slightly crisp edges yields to a soft and layered center. A shower of fresh blood orange zest and a healthy dose of almond paste lead to a generously flavored scone, welcome with tea or even as a late night snack (hand raised!).
I’d be remiss not to mention the naturally pink glaze, all thanks to a squeeze of blood orange juice whisked with powdered sugar, salt, melted butter, and pure almond extract. Top scones with an ample spoonful of glaze for an instant mood booster.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 2 oz (57 g) almond paste, cubed
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp blood orange juice
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine sugar, blood orange zest, and almond paste in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute; place mixture in a large bowl and whisk in flour, baking soda, and salt. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; lightly dust dough with flour, flour hands, and pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Score into 12 wedges with floured bench scraper.
- Bake 15 to 16 minutes, until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges. For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, blood orange juice, melted butter, and almond extract in a small bowl until smooth. Set rack with scones over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; let set before serving. Scones are best fresh – if not serving immediately, store unglazed in an airtight container and glaze just before serving.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrates: 32