Summer is the time for a simple and delicious blackberry lemon loaf cake! Flavored with lemon zest, vanilla, and studded with fresh blackberries, this easy cake is baked until golden, then drizzled with bright and tangy lemon glaze.
Buttery and sweet, lemon makes the perfect counterpoint to blackberries here! You’ll love a slice of cake for dessert (absolutely delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream!) or as a sweet afternoon snack.
Tips for the perfect loaf cake:
- Use fresh berries – For the best blackberry lemon loaf cake, I highly recommend using fresh blackberries. Fresh summer berries are at their peak flavor and much easier to work with than frozen berries, which have a tendency to release added moisture to the batter.
- Make lemon sugar – Pulse the lemon zest and sugar in a food processor for 1 minute, until the zest is finely ground. This added step releases aromatic oils from the zest, for maximum flavor. You can also use orange zest or lime zest in this recipe!
- Use room temperature ingredients – Room temperature butter, eggs, and dairy incorporate together more evenly and uniformly than chilled ingredients.
Flavored with lemon zest, vanilla, and studded with fresh blackberries, this easy blackberry lemon loaf cake is drizzled with sweet lemon glaze!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh blackberries (slice large berries in half)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture to toss with blackberries.
- Place sugar and lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat butter and lemon-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Toss blackberries with reserved flour mixture and gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully lift cake from pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, lemon zest, milk, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Blackberry, Lemon, Loaf Cake, Pound Cake
More blackberry recipes you’ll love:
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.