Berry streusel coffee cake makes a dream weekend breakfast! You’ll love this buttery coffee cake layered with fresh berries and golden streusel topping!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup blackberry preserves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour.
- For the streusel, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and mix in with a fork until completely incorporated and streusel is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolk one at a time and beat well. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap sharply to reduce air bubbles. Drop spoonfuls of blackberry preserves over batter and gently spread into a thin layer with an offset spatula. Top with berries, pressing gently into the jam. Sprinkle evenly with chilled streusel.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until coffee cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (start testing after 50 minutes; baking time will vary based on moisture from the berries). Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
Fresh berries – I used a blend of fresh raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Use any mix of fresh berries in this recipe.
Keywords: Berry, Blackberry, Streusel, Coffee Cake, Breakfast