Buttery shortbread scented with vanilla and lemon zest makes one sublime cookie. Sprinkled with sugar, baked until lightly golden, and sandwiched with berry-white chocolate filling, these sparkling berry cream sandwich cookies are summer perfection.
Buttery and sweet, with a creamy filling that’s simply divine, here’s to the summer sandwich cookie!
Sprinkled with sugar and sandwiched with berry-white chocolate cream filling, these berry cream sandwich cookies are summer perfection.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp berry jam
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla, lemon zest, and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out dough to just shy of 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 32 cookies. Use a floured 3/4-inch round cutter to remove centers from 16 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, place white chocolate and salt in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before whisking in berry jam. Whisk in milk and powdered sugar until combined. Chill filling for 25-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Transfer filling to a piping bag and pipe in the center of half the cookies; spread slightly with an offset spatula. Top with remaining cutout cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Sandwich Cookie, Shortbread, Berry Cream, White Chocolate