With a mix of triple berries, buttery crumb topping, and sweet lemon glaze, there is no finer cake for summer than this berry buttermilk crumb cake. Perfumed with floral lemon zest and rich vanilla, this is a cake to revisit all season long.
Infinitely adaptable based on your favorite in season berries, this crumb cake recipe is a dream for parties, 4th of July, and weekend guests (Pro tip: just call it a coffee cake, and serve up slices for brunch!).
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan. For the crumb topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; reserve one tablespoon flour mixture to toss with berries. Beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time. Combine buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated. Toss berries with reserved flour mixture and gently fold into batter.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan (batter will be thick) and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 55 to 58 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides from pan; let cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, lemon juice, salt, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake, and let set before serving. Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
For the berries, I used a blend of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. If using large berries, such as blackberries or strawberries, halve or quarter the berries.
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrates: 54
Keywords: Berry, Buttermilk, Crumb Cake