Inspired by the flavors of classic baklava, these baklava hand pies are crisp and flaky, with a delicious spiced nut filling. Drizzle with honey and enjoy! Recipe makes 12 mini pies.
There’s nothing not to love about picnic-ready hand pies, baked up to golden and buttery perfection.
Crisp and flaky, with a delightful spiced and orange-scented baklava filling, these hand pies are scrumptious. For the ultimate take on baklava, add a drizzle of honey just before serving, then dig in. Happy baking!
How to Bake the MOST Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Inspired by the flavors of classic baklava, these baklava hand pies are crisp and flaky, with a delicious spiced nut filling. Drizzle with honey and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1–2 Tbsp vodka
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp honey (for drizzling)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- 2 tsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- For the crust, grate 1/4 cup butter into a small bowl; cut remaining 1/4 cup butter into small cubes and place in a second bowl; chill bowls in freezer for 15 minutes. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; place bowl in freezer to chill for 15 minutes. Chill buttermilk and vodka in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cubed butter over chilled flour mixture and toss with a spatula to coat. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until the biggest pieces are the size of peas; fold in grated butter. Drizzle buttermilk over flour mixture; use a spatula to gather dough together until it forms large clumps. If needed, add vodka 1 tablespoon at a time, then gently knead just to form a ball. Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze 1 to 2 months).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough until dough is a 12-inch circle, 1/8″ thick (If dough starts to stick, use a floured bench scraper to gently lift dough from board). Use a 3 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut out 12 circles of dough (re-roll scraps once). Place circles on baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For the filling, whisk together brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl. Stir in almonds and pecans, then add melted butter and vanilla and fold in until combined. To assemble hand pies, whisk together egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush chilled circles lightly with egg wash; top with 1 tablespoon filling. Drizzle filling very lightly with honey. Fold circles over and crimp edges with a fork to seal. Chill assembled pies in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Just before baking, vent pies with a sharp knife, brush lightly with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18 to 19 minutes, until golden brown. Cool pies on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make ahead: Freeze assembled pies on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for storage. When ready to bake, brush with egg wash and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Baklava, Cinnamon, Honey, Hand Pies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.