Indulge your doughnuts cravings with tender and fluffy baked cinnamon sugar doughnuts, a scrumptious way to get your doughnut fix!
- 2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a standard doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together cake flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each doughnut cup 3/4 full. Bake about 8 minutes, until the tops spring back when touched. Turn doughnuts out on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, allowing pan to cool completely and spraying with nonstick spray in between batches.
- Set rack with cooled doughnuts over a piece of waxed paper. Heat butter in a microwave-safe bowl until melted. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Dip doughnut tops lightly in melted butter, and dunk in cinnamon sugar; repeat with other side. If you have extra cinnamon sugar, dunk tops again. Doughnuts taste best the first day – store leftover doughnuts at room temperature or wrap well and freeze up to 2 months.
To make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
- Calories: 225
- Carbohydrates: 38
Keywords: Cinnamon, Sugar, Doughnut, Donut, Breakfast