There’s nothing I adore quite so much as a freshly baked breakfast pastry. Irresistibly flaky and golden, these effortless apricot breakfast pastries come together quickly with store-bought frozen puff pastry.
Filled with whipped honey-cream cheese and sweet apricot jam, there’s no better treat for Easter morning, Mother’s Day brunch, or any spring occasion.
Best of all, the pastries can be assembled in advance and frozen until you’re ready to bake. Topped with sliced almonds and sugar and baked until puffed, heaven must be a tray of freshly baked pastries.
Irresistibly flaky and golden, these delicious apricot breakfast pastries come together quickly with store-bought frozen puff pastry.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured board and roll out into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle. Use a sharp knife to cut the rectangle into 12 squares, and transfer squares to baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, honey, salt, vanilla, and almond extract in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a piping bag, and pipe (or spoon) filling into the center of each square. Top with a spoonful of jam. Freeze pastries on baking sheet until the filling is frozen, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and whisk together egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush the sides of the pastry lightly with egg wash, and sprinkle pastries with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Bake pastries for about 14 minutes, until tops are golden. Carefully tent with foil, and continue baking another 8 to 10 minutes, until pastry is fully baked through. Place baking sheet on a wire rack, and let pastries cool slightly (15 to 20 minutes) before serving.
Make ahead: Freeze assembled pastries on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for storage. When ready to bake, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Apricot, Jam, Puff Pastry