Apple spice loaf cake is a fall dream! Baked in a loaf pan, you’ll love this easy apple cake with a cinnamon sugar ribbon and maple glaze.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup peeled and diced apple
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- flaky salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture. Gently fold in apples.
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spoon half the batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Spoon the remaining batter evenly over the cinnamon-sugar layer and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply again.
- Bake for 50 to 54 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully lift cake from pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine maple syrup, butter, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until butter is melted and mixture is combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and maple extract. Let cool for several minutes to thicken slightly, then drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with flaky salt and let set before serving.
Keywords: Apple Cake, Loaf Cake, Apple, Maple