- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (48 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (90 g) honey
- 1/4 cup (48 g) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup (80 g) pecans
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (48 g) sugar
- 2 cups (236 g) peeled and diced Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. While dough rises, make the topping. Combine butter, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until butter has melted, brown sugar has dissolved, and mixture is syrupy. Spray two 8-inch square cake pans with nonstick spray. Pour 1/3 cup warm topping into bottom of each pan; arrange 1/3 cup pecans over topping.
- To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush dough with melted butter, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle sugar over dough. Toss apples with cinnamon to combine; sprinkle over dough, pressing gently into dough. Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal.
- Trim off uneven ends and score dough into 18 equal slices. Use unflavored dental floss to slice dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices cleanly). Place rolls cut side up into prepared pans. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- While the rolls rise, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for about 19 to 20 minutes, until golden and juices are bubbling. Remove from oven to cool on a wire rack for 3 minutes. Carefully invert pans onto wire rack; let pan stand 1 to 2 minutes so the sticky topping drizzles down over the rolls.
Rolls are best fresh but can be wrapped well, stored overnight, and warmed in a low oven before serving.
- Calories: 235