Buttery almond thumbprint cookies filled with jam and drizzled with glaze make the sweetest holiday cookie!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, pulsed until coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry or cherry preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- Beat butter, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, almond extract, and egg and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour and cornstarch just until incorporated and dough comes together in large pieces (scrape down bowl as needed).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine sliced almonds and sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in almond-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets and make an indentation in the center of each one with the back of a 1/2 teaspoon. Chill thumbprints for 45 minutes. While dough chills, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and return to the oven, baking another 4 to 5 minutes, or until light golden and set.
- While cookies are cooling on baking sheets, gently press the centers again to make an indentation.
- Place preserves in a small bowl and microwave for 10 seconds; whisk to loosen. Fill the center of each cookie with 1 teaspoon preserves. Let cookies cool completely on baking sheets.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, almond extract, corn syrup, and heavy cream in a small bowl until combined. Microwave in 5 second bursts, whisking until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cookies and let set before serving.
- Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature.
Extracts: Use pure vanilla extract and pure almond extract to flavor the dough. If you don’t like almond extract (or have an allergy), increase the vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons.
Make Ahead: Make the dough and roll into 1-inch balls, then roll in almond-sugar mixture to coat. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and make an indentation in the center of each one with the back of a 1/2 teaspoon. Freeze on the baking sheet for 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. On baking day, bake as directed, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Thumbprint Cookies, Holiday Cookies, Almond, Jam