almond chocolate chip cookies
After a months long hiatus from chocolate desserts, I found myself with an insatiable craving for chocolate chip cookies, with a twist. A quick forage through the pantry lead me to a forgotten tube of almond paste and plenty of abandoned chocolate. A batch of almond chocolate chip cookies was simply a must!
These cookies are a marriage of a soft-baked chocolate chip cookie with a chewy almond cookie. Together, they are the best of both worlds. Studded with chocolate chips and flecks of roasted almonds (a touch of salt adds great balance!), almond plus chocolate is one heavenly pairing.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 ounces almond paste, grated and divided
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- 3 Tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp roasted almonds, chopped
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, half of the almond paste, and brown sugar together in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips, chopped almonds, and remaining almond paste. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Top cookies with remaining chocolate chips and chopped almonds, pressing to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for about 12 minutes, until lightly golden and tops and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrates: 20
Keywords: Almond, Almond Paste, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip