- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate covered espresso beans, chopped
- flaky salt
Vanilla Creme Filling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Combine instant espresso and boiling water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and cooled espresso until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate covered espresso beans. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges are set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with flaky salt. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, beat butter, salt, and vanilla in a mixer bowl until combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in powdered sugar until incorporated. Add heavy cream and mix on low speed until combined, then beat on medium speed for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- To assemble the sandwich cookies, transfer filling to a large piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe filling in the center of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, pressing together gently until filling reaches the edges. Chill cookies for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
Instant espresso: I recommend Starbucks VIA
Keywords: Chocolate, Espresso, Sandwich Cookie, Cookie