cinnamon swirl loaf cake
Fall baking means adding cinnamon to just about every dessert, and this cinnamon swirl loaf cake celebrates the cozy warming spice in the best way possible! Plush and buttery vanilla cake is paired with a cinnamon-sugar ribbon and topping for an effortless loaf cake that tastes just like freshly baked snickerdoodles.
Drizzled with vanilla glaze, you’ll love this cake for breakfast or as an afternoon treat!
To make the cinnamon swirl, spoon half the batter into the loaf pan, smoothing with an offset spatula. Tap the pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Sprinkle a generous layer of cinnamon-sugar over the batter. Spoon remaining cake batter into the pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar over the top of the cake batter and bake until the cake is golden and the top springs back to the touch. As the cake bakes, the cinnamon-sugar topping forms the same signature ripples as snickerdoodle cookies. Let the cake cool completely, then drizzle with vanilla butter glaze!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spoon half the batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Sprinkle 2 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter evenly over the cinnamon sugar and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply again. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 42 to 45 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully lift cake from pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cake and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Cinnamon, Sugar, Snickerdoodle, Loaf Cake, Pound Cake