raspberry breakfast pastries
Raspberry breakfast pastries are the perfect make-ahead breakfast! Made with puff pastry (a freezer essential!), these flaky bites are layered with sweetened cream cheese and dollops of sweet raspberry preserves.
Simply thaw out a puff pastry sheet and roll out on a floured board into a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into twelve squares, and pipe the cream cheese filling into the center of each square. Add a spoonful of jam, then freeze the squares until the filling is firm (about 1 1/2 hours, or overnight if you’re assembling in advance).
When it’s time to bake, brush the edges of the pastry with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake these pastries until they’re puffed and golden, then let them cool a few minutes before serving with a dusting of powdered sugar. If you’d like, top the baked pastries with another spoonful of raspberry jam or a tumble of fresh berries and enjoy!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 oz full fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured board and roll out into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle. Use a sharp knife to cut the rectangle into 12 squares, and transfer squares to baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, honey, salt, vanilla, and almond extract in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a piping bag, and pipe (or spoon) filling into the center of each square. Top with a spoonful of jam. Freeze pastries on baking sheet until the filling is frozen, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush the sides of the pastry lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake pastries for 15 minutes, until tops are golden. Rotate baking sheet and continue baking another 8 to 10 minutes, until pastry is fully baked through. Place baking sheet on a wire rack, and let pastries cool slightly (15 to 20 minutes) before serving.
Make ahead: Freeze assembled pastries on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for storage. When ready to bake, brush with heavy cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Raspberry, Jam, Puff Pastry