classic blueberry galette
Classic blueberry galette makes the best summer dessert! If you live for pie, then the galette is a must bake – it’s the best way to showcase summer blueberries without the stress of pie.
Flaky pastry envelops bursting blueberries in this free-form pie, so simple and so scrumptious. Topped with a buttery crumb topping for that extra touch, the galette is easy to assemble and incredibly versatile. Feel free to improvise your own galette with any mix of berries you love!
As much as you’ll be tempted to dig in as soon as the galette emerges bubbling from the oven, let it cool for a bit. Slice into wedges and enjoy with scoops of vanilla ice cream!Print
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- For the topping, combine flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until completely incorporated and large crumbs form; fold in sliced almonds. Chill until ready to use.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For the filling, place 1/2 cup blueberries in a large bowl and crush gently with a fork. Add remaining blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Spoon filling over chilled crust, leaving a 2-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with crumb topping and fold up the pastry border, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Chill assembled galette for 15 minutes.
- Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake galette for 25 minutes, then tent with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes (for a total baking time of 35 to 40 minutes), or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Let cool for 1 hour on a wire rack before cutting and serving.
Keywords: Blueberry, Blueberry Galette, Classic Blueberry Galette, Galette