brown sugar peach layer cake
Brown sugar peach layer cake is the best way to celebrate peach season! With layers of peach jam, fresh peaches, and brown sugar frosting, this layer cake is a summer dream!
Incorporating brown sugar in both the cake and frosting, I turn to my favorite C&H Golden Brown Sugar. The caramelized flavor pairs perfectly with sweet summer peaches and the brown sugar is always soft and fluffy, making it easy to incorporate in both the cake and the frosting.
Once the fluffy brown sugar buttermilk cake layers are baked, it’s time to layer with swirls of brown sugar frosting, peach jam, and thinly sliced fresh peaches.
Frosted with a generous layer of brown sugar frosting (so delicious for summer cakes!) and topped with fresh flowers, you’ll love this show-stopping layer cake for your next gathering.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup C&H Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 cup C&H Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups reduced fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 6 oz full fat cream cheese, cool room temperature
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup C&H Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups C&H Confectioners Sugar, sifted
- 6 Tbsp peach jam
- 2 medium peaches, thinly sliced
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour three 8-inch round cake pans. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla until incorporated. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, until the cakes are golden, a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and the edges are pulling slightly away from the pan. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, salt on medium speed until combined. Scrape down bowl and add brown sugar and vanilla; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed. Chill frosting for 10 minutes before assembling the cake.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a rotating cake stand. Use an offset spatula to swirl frosting over the cake layer. Transfer 1 cup of frosting to a large piping bag and pipe a ring of frosting around the outer edge of the cake layer. Use a clean offset spatula to spread about 3 tablespoons of peach jam over the frosting. Arrange peach slices in a circular pattern over the peach jam (within the frosting border). Add second cake layer and repeat with frosting, peach jam, and peach slices. Add top cake layer and chill the cake for 15 minutes.
- Use offset spatula to apply a thin layer of frosting to the top and sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand, then chill for 15 minutes. Add about 1 cup of frosting to the top of the cake, swirling generously over the edge. Use offset spatula to apply frosting to the sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand, then use a bench scraper to gently smooth the edges of the cake and remove any excess frosting. Chill frosted cake for 30 minutes before serving.
- If desired, serve cake topped with fresh flowers and peach slices. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Brown Sugar, Peach, Layer Cake, Cake
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by C&H Sugar. All opinions expressed are my own.