- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum-free baking powder*
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup blackberry preserves
- 2/3 cup fresh blackberries, halved
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine sugar and orange zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Beat butter and orange-sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs and egg yolk one at a time. Beat in vanilla until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Top batter with blackberry preserves, dropping by spoonfuls over the batter. Use a toothpick to very gently swirl the jam into the batter. Add blackberries, pressing gently into the jam layer. Spoon remaining batter evenly over the berries and carefully smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply again to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 46 to 50 minutes, until cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Blackberry, Orange, Vanilla, Pound Cake, Bundt Cake