- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup confetti sprinkles
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 3 oz reduced fat cream cheese, cool room temperature
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla bean paste, almond extract, and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Mix in sprinkles. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out dough to just shy of 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 32 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, beat butter, cream cheese, lemon zest, and salt in a mixer bowl until combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in powdered sugar and lemon juice until incorporated. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the sandwich cookies, transfer filling to a large piping bag and pipe one tablespoon of filling in the center of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Vanilla, Funfetti, Shortbread, Sandwich Cookie