- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3/4 cup roasted and salted pistachios, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Place disc of dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is 1/4-inch thick, approximately a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to a 9-inch tart pan, lightly pressing down into the bottom and sides of the pan. Run the rolling pin across the top of the pan to remove the excess dough. Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a rimmed baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Line the chilled dough with a piece of crinkled parchment paper, and fill with granulated sugar, dried beans, or pie weights.
- Place pan on pre-heated baking sheet and blind bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until tart crust is pale golden and the bottom is completely set. At that point, carefully lift out the parchment and the weights. Return the crust to the oven for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the bottom crust is golden brown.
- While the crust blind bakes, prepare the filling. Combine almonds, pecans, pistachios, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and orange zest in a large bowl. Combine butter, honey, and brown sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until butter is completely melted and mixture is combined. Add to nut mixture, and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add filling to crust, pressing into an even layer. Return tart pan to oven and continue baking until filling is bubbly and the tart shell is golden, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool tart completely in pan on wire rack.
- For the Swiss meringue, combine egg whites and sugar in a mixer bowl and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Heat mixture to 160°F while whisking constantly to dissolve the sugar, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixer bowl to stand mixer fitted with wire whip attachment. Starting on low and increasing to medium-high speed, whisk for 8 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy and glossy, forms stiff peaks, and the mixer bowl is cool to the touch.
- Pipe or pile meringue over tart, then toast carefully with a blow torch or under a broiler. Refrigerate until ready to serve (meringue can be added 3-4 hours before serving). To slice, dip a sharp knife in hot water and let excess drip off before cutting each slice.
Keywords: Baklava, Cinnamon, Honey, Meringue, Tart