Meyer Lemon Curd
- 1 1/2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Pâte à Choux
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the curd, whisk together Meyer lemon zest, juice, sugar, and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened. Add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly until melted, before adding more butter. Continue until curd is smooth and thickened, and coats the back of a spoon (about 5 minutes total).
- Strain curd through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Press a piece of plastic directly on the surface, and chill until cold – at least one hour.
- For the pâte à choux, position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine water, milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add flour all at once, quickly stirring in with a wooden spoon. Return pan to medium heat and stir constantly for 4 minutes, cooking until mixture pulls away from the pan and a film forms on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixer bowl and beat on low speed for 3 minutes, until slightly cooled. Add eggs one at a time and beat on medium speed until fully incorporated. The pâte à choux is ready when the batter is smooth and shiny, and a string forms when you touch the dough with your finger.
- Transfer dough to a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe 2-inch rounds, spaced 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets. As you pipe, pull the piping bag slightly to the side to avoid forming peaks. Smooth down tops with a damp finger.
- Place one baking sheet in the oven and bake cream puffs for 15 minutes. Without opening the oven door, lower oven temperature to 375°F and continue baking for another 10 minutes, until golden and airy. Remove baking sheet from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat baking process with remaining baking sheet.
- For the vanilla whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Add powdered sugar and whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Add vanilla and whip the cream on medium-high speed until medium peaks form.
- To assemble the cream puffs, split open one side with a serrated knife. Fill with a dollop of whipped cream and spoonful of Meyer lemon curd. Dust cream puffs lightly with powdered sugar and serve.
Pâte à Choux adapted from Martha Stewart
Keywords: Meyer Lemon, Cream Puffs