- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. For the bread, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in grated carrots.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles and bake for 54 to 58 minutes, until bread is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove bread from pan and cool completely.
- For the cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, salt, and lemon zest on medium speed until combined. Mix in powdered sugar on low speed, then increase to medium and beat until light and airy. (If frosting is too soft to use immediately, chill for 10-15 minutes in the refrigerator).
- Use an offset spatula to spread cream cheese frosting over bread. If desired, decorate with sprinkles. Chill bread for 30 minutes to set frosting before slicing and serving. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Carrot, Carrot Cake, Cream Cheese Frosting