kahlua chocolate cakes
Happy February and the time to celebrate all the chocolate desserts! Let’s kick things off with Kahlua chocolate cakes, rich and fudgy mini bundt cakes dipped in Kahlua glaze!
With a touch of espresso added to the batter for the most decadent chocolate flavor, these cakes make the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert. Dress up the tops with milk chocolate caramel duet hearts or a flurry of festive Valentine sprinkles for a delicious finish!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant espresso
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Kahlua
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a mini bundt pan generously with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Add sugars, egg, egg yolk, milk, yogurt, oil, and vanilla to flour mixture; whisk in just until incorporated. Dissolve instant espresso in boiling water; add to batter and whisk in until smooth.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each cavity 2/3 full. Smooth batter with an offset spatula and tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until cakes spring back to the touch, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool cakes in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, Kahlua, milk, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Set rack with cooled cakes over a piece of waxed paper. Dip cake tops into glaze and let glaze set before serving.